Cart empty

A burn is an injury to the skin which causes damage to the skin and if the burn is severe enough, then they tissues beneath the skin may also be damaged. The most common type is a burn due to heat.

Burns caused by hot liquids or gasses (like boiling oil and steam) are often referred to as scalds.

The size of the area that is burned is very important . Burns that are larger than your hand, may cause the burn victim to go into shock as a result of pain and fluid loss through the wound.  it is advisable to get the burn victim to a healthcare practitioner as soon as possible.

Chemical burns occur when the skin/tissue is damaged by a chemical such as an acid. Electrical burns result from damage caused by electricity, as may happen if you get an electric shock. In all burn cases, it is important to remove the cause of the burn as soon as possible. Removing the cause of an electric burn requires great care and you should not touch the person who is being shocked as you will not want to shock yourself as well. Use a non conductive object, like wood, to remove the object shocking the person. Once the cause has been safely removed, the part of the body that is burned should be run under cool water for at least ten minutes (longer in the case of a chemical burn to ensure that the chemical is thoroughly removed), to soothe the area and reduce swelling. Burns may also be caused by a very cold object, like dry ice or liquid nitrogen. In this case it is not advisable to run cool water over the burn. Luke warm or tepid water should be run over the burn to avoid further damage.

Once the skin is begining to heal - St Johns Wort oil can be applied to the area or aloe vera gel. Witch hazel water can be applied to unbroken skin. To help counter any possible infection, a drop of tea tree oil can be added to the St Johns Wort oil.

Zinc citratecapsules (15-30mg daily) would be recommended

Any burns that have not healed within ten days should also be examined by a healthcare practitioner.