- Rheumatoid arthritis is a form of arthritis that involves the body's immune system attacking the joints which causes pain, damage, swelling and inhibits movements of the joints.
- Ashwaganda is traditionally used for its immune regulating properties. It aids the body deal with stress and also has anti-inflammatory properties. Immune stimulants such as Echinacea must not be taken with those who have an auto-immune state.
- ZInc supplements. One long term study of nearly 30,000 women found that those who took zinc reduced their risk of rheumatoid arthritis. However, limit it to just 15mg daily.
- Osteo-arthritis is the most common form and is the degeneration of a joint or of many joints as a result of trauma, malnutrition or aging.
- Glucosamine is recommended for people with mild to moderate arthritis. It appears to reduce pain and slow down the cartilage loss. Bone and ligaments have a poor perfusion of blood and healing can be slower - as a result - be patient, take 500mg three times a day and wait at least a month before you begin to feel the benefits.
MSM is a sulphur compund the is necessary for the synthesis of collagen and new cells. It is found mainly in muscles, skin and bones and can restore flexibility and reduce the cause of pain.
Glucosamine and MSM is also available as a combined tablet.
Turmeric - give the curry cure a go. Curcumin, is the active constituent of turmeric and has an age old reputation as an anti-inflammatory and pain relieving agent. It has been found to inhibit the synthesis of prostaglandins (hormone like substances that are involved in the transmission of pain). Take 500mg three times daily.
Boswelia tincture. This extract from the resin of the frankincense tree reduces production of the chemicals that actually increase pain. It also improves the use of collateral blood vessels and increase athe oxygenation and thus the speed of repair to the damaged joint.
- Choose fats that care for your joints
- Omega 3 fatty acids help to reduce inflammation. Increase the consumption of oily fish or consider taking a flaxseed capsule (1000mg) up to three times daily.(Do not take if on blood thinning medication).
Capscicum cream - capscaicin is a substance that gives chilli peppers their heat and is is also the ingredient that irritates the nerves endings and helps to block substance P (which aids the transmission of pain).
- Arthritis may also be a result of other illnesses which appear to be unrelated. The type and the cause of arthritis must be diagnosed by your healthcare practitioner. Unless arthritis is properly managed, it may progress to being so severe that its leaves a person completely debilitated and unable to move the affected joints.
The continuous pain caused by arthritis is often draining and may result in depression and a drastic decrease in a person's quality of life. An inability to move ones joints due to pain/stiffness inhibits ones ability to participate in hobbies or sports and may even prevent one from performing normal everyday tasks such as holding a knife and fork or bending down to pick up something.
The power of prevention
- Maintain a healthy weight. losing just 5kg and keeping it off for 10 years will half the risk of arthritis affecting the knees.
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoids and other anti-oxidants can help reduce the risk of osteoarthritis and it progression. Anti-oxidants prevent bone breakdown by destroying free radicals. Take 1000mg daily.
Our recommended treatment should be taken in conjunction with and not in place of any treatment recommended by your healthcare practitioner. Please consult your healthcare practitioner if you experience joint pain and stiffness for longer than six weeks.